Thursday, May 1, 2008

Ask Not What Your Dog Can Do For You. Ask What You Can Do For Your Dog.

Whether you now have a dog, or you are thinking and planning to adopt one, PLEASE do not ask what your dog can do for you. Ask only what you can do for your dog. At one time I might have been reluctant to admit that I didn't put sufficient time into her training as I should have, but now, seeing my dear German Shepherd ill, I realize I could have been a much better and more responsible owner.
I thought I spent a considerable amount of time in her training, i.e. -stay, sit, down, heel, etc. We took minimum half-mile walks at least three times every day. Early on I taught her how to be gentle and submissive to my granddaughter, and to this day the shepherd goes to her to lick her face and be petted in return - as sick a dog as she is.
But I did not persevere and show sufficient patience in so many other areas. I could have taught her not to charge any other animal she saw - if I devoted the time. I could have taught her not to run after any deer she saw, disappearing for well over an hour on at least two occasions.
My point is -whatever breed or mixture of breeds your dog is - take the time - show the patience - persevere, with love and kindness and repetition, with what you want your pet to do. I assure you will be rewarded at least ten-fold for your efforts.
Even with my deficiencies in the time I devoted to her training, I am getting back so much more in the love, friendship, companionship and loyalty she gives me all day long, every day, week and month.
May it happen to you!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: