Sunday, April 27, 2008

Not just a Dog, she's my Friend, my German Shepherd

A good dog, with a little effort, will be the most trusted and valued of friends.
I learn as much about character, and forgiveness, and determination and sheer courage, from my shepherd as I have ever learned from another human - with the single exception of my mother.

We learn about perseverance and forgiveness, about trust, patience and friendship from our parents and teachers in our formative years. We discover determination and courage; and use the others, in our middle years. And when we get a dog we find that if we put a little effort in, that dog will give back to us every one of those attributes, and then some. So it has been with my German Shepherd. She's ill right now and fighting for her life. I'm advised by veterinarians to 'play God' and determine her 'quality of life', i.e. - what can she still do, what can she no longer do, how much pain is she in and how much suffering is she experiencing.
How the hell do I know? She's my friend, my shepherd, and I love her dearly.
I'll do anything I can to help her.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: